Current:Home > reviewsJapan hopes to resolve China’s seafood ban over Fukushima’s wastewater release within WTO’s scope -Capitatum
Japan hopes to resolve China’s seafood ban over Fukushima’s wastewater release within WTO’s scope
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 01:01:52
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Japan hopes to resolve China’s ban on its seafood following the release of treated wastewater from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant within the World Trade Organization’s scope, Agriculture Minister Ichiro Miyashita said Wednesday.
Despite repeated assurances, China banned seafood from Japan immediately after the plant began its treated radioactive wastewater release in August. Seafood accounts for a small portion of Japan’s overall trade but the ban has hit exporters hard as China was the top destination for Japanese seafood exports.
The Japanese government approved a 20.7-billion-yen ($141-million) emergency fund in September to help seafood exporters find new markets and to fund government purchases of seafood for temporary freezing and storage. The country is also stepping up efforts to ease safety concerns as a second round of wastewater discharge is set to begin Thursday.
Miyashita said Japan’s vigorous monitoring since the discharge showed negligible impact on its seafood and agricultural products. All seawater and fish sampling data since the release have been well below set safety limits, he said.
“We are undecided whether to file a complaint (about China’s export ban) to the WTO immediately. At any rate, we hope to find a resolution within the WTO framework,” he told reporters after attending a fair to promote Japanese scallops at a shopping mall.
Russia is also reportedly considering restricting seafood export from Japan — a decision that Miyashita said will depend on the result of sampling and monitoring data. He said Japan is prepared to provide the information to Russia to counter concerns over seafood safety.
The first nuclear wastewater release began Aug. 24 and ended Sept. 11. Japan will begin its second round Thursday to release another 7,800 metric tons of treated wastewater into the Pacific Ocean over 17 days. The discharge, which is expected to continue for decades, has been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including South Korea, where hundreds of people staged protest rallies.
Miyashita arrived in Malaysia on Wednesday for a meeting with Southeast Asian agriculture ministers.
Malaysia has no plans to restrict Japanese fishery import, said Malaysian Agriculture Minister Mohamad Sabu.
He said Malaysia conducts strict testing and so far has found no radioactive element on fish imported from Japan. “So fish from Japan is safe, please eat,” he said after his meeting with Miyashita.
Although Japanese seafood imports to Malaysia dipped in August, Miyashita said sale of certain products like yellowtail fish and frozen scallops rose during the month. To ease concerns over the safety of seafood, he said Japan will hold food fairs overseas to promote the safety of its seafood and bolster export.
“I hope that many people will learn about the deliciousness of Japanese marine products and this will lead to an increase in exports,” Miyashita added.
Japanese officials have said they plan to cultivate new export destinations in Taiwan, the United States, Europe, the Middle East and some Southeast Asian nations such as Malaysia and Singapore.
veryGood! (76)
Related
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- Heat retire Udonis Haslem's No. 40 jersey. He's the 6th Miami player to receive the honor
- Why Jacob Elordi Is Worried About Returning for Euphoria Season 3
- Ohio is poised to become the 2nd state to restrict gender-affirming care for adults
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Small-town Colorado newspapers stolen after running story about rape charges at police chief’s house
- Trawler crashed on rocks off after crew member fell asleep, boat’s owner says
- Family sues Atlanta cop, chief and city after officer used Taser on deacon who later died
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- State-backed Russian hackers accessed senior Microsoft leaders' emails, company says
Ranking
- Small twin
- Grand jury indictment against Alec Baldwin opens two paths for prosecutors
- Opinion: George Carlin wasn't predictable, unlike AI
- Why TikTok's Viral Sleepy Girl Mocktail Might Actually Keep You Up at Night
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Las Vegas Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as head coach following interim gig
- Alec Baldwin indicted on involuntary manslaughter charge again in 'Rust' shooting
- Some 500 migrants depart northern Honduras in a bid to reach the US by caravan
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Nuggets hand Celtics their first loss in Boston this season after 20 straight home wins
Adam Harrison, a son of ‘Pawn Stars’ celebrity Rick Harrison, has died in Las Vegas at age 39
A century after Lenin’s death, the USSR’s founder seems to be an afterthought in modern Russia
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Lawsuit seeks to have Karamo officially declared removed as Michigan GOP chairwoman
Grand jury seated Friday to consider criminal charges against officers in Uvalde school shooting
Nuggets hand Celtics their first loss in Boston this season after 20 straight home wins